At first, I was just going to link to the campaign from my Facebook page. Then, the more I thought about it, the more I knew that I needed to dedicate a post to such a terrific idea.
In the book, the main character, Auggie, is victim to a very different kind of bullying, one that is not so easily identifiable. Silence. A kid can't exactly tell a teacher his fellow classmates are bullying another because they're not talking to him/her. Instead, that kid CAN dig deep, and find the courage to choose to be KIND.
Choose Kind is an anti-bullying campaign inspired by R.J. Palacio's debut novel, Wonder. Random House Children’s Books invites you to share your story and pledge to Choose Kind every day:
ChooseKind.tumblr.com is the online home of the campaign, designed as a next step for the ardent supporters of the novel who have been asking for additional resources to use in sharing WONDER and its message with families, schools, and communities across the country. Each section of the site offers an interactive user experience.
- SHARE: Fans can contribute a post, ranging from personal experiences of being bullied to moments where they wished they had stood up for someone else.
- SIGN THE PLEDGE: Pledge to Choose Kind in an effort to end bullying, and print a certificate to display.
- THE BOOK: Watch the trailer for WONDER, read reviews, and find links to the novel’s social media channels.
- THE AUTHOR: Read about R. J. Palacio, and how to connect with her on Twitter and Tumblr.
- RESOURCES: A Digital Toolkit of stickers and Web badges, as well as links to other anti-bullying efforts such as the It Gets Better project and the National Education Association’s Bully Free: It Starts with Me.
TUMBLR PAGE: http://choosekind.tumblr.com/
TWITTER HASHTAG: #theWonderOfWonder